When making the decision to work with a post-secondary counsellor, it is important to select a professional who offers academic and field expertise. It is equally important, however, to choose someone whose values, approach, and personality are a good “fit” for both students and parents.
I believe that the counselling relationship is a partnership where we all agree to work collaboratively toward a common goal. Each client is important to me and I will honour our partnership with honesty and focus. We will navigate some tough questions together on this journey of self-discovery — but the time and energy will be worth the end of result!
I bring 16 years of experience in university and college counselling, scholarship and financial aid support, teaching and school administration in both public and private school settings as well as specialized contexts such as Aboriginal communities and outdoor/experiential education. I have also served on the Board of Directors for local, provincial, and national organizations with a special emphasis in human resource capacity development and strategic planning.
I hold a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and History, a Master of Education in Leadership, and specialist designations in Special Education and Guidance & Career Education.
I will create a personalized portfolio of program choices and options for you. Along the way, we may also identify interests and areas of focus that you might never have considered! Most importantly, I will help you to discover and understand your individual strengths and interests so that you can select the best pathway for YOU!
Areas of Expertise:
- High school course selection
- Clarifying post-secondary admission requirements
- Understanding and navigating Canadian, US, and UK higher education
- Identify programs at Canadian, US, and UK universities or colleges which fit your academic and personal profile
- Admission to highly selective/competitive institutions
- Demystify and de-stressing the post-secondary application process
- Applications — planning, preparation & successful execution
- Application essay writing and interview preparation
- Applications and special considerations for international students
- Students with special considerations — learning exceptionalities, psychoeducational assessments, post-secondary support/resources
- Scholarship and financial aid applications
- Gap year, experiential and outdoor education programs
- Letters of recommendations — assisting students as well as counsellors/teachers
- Transitioning from high school to college/university
- Study strategies for post-secondary success
- Goal setting and monitoring
- Guiding you to reach your personal “awesome-ness”
- Building confidence in your OWN unique strengths and skills